Wuyi Tieluohan is translated into English as Iron Monk Rock Oolong. As its name suggests, it is a type of oolong that is bold in aroma and rich in taste.
Tieluohan is one of the four most famous rock oolong cultivars. The other three distinguished cultivars are Da Hongpao, Shui Jingui and Bai Jiguan. To be recognized and named as a distinguished cultivar is no small feat as there are over 800 named cultivars in the rock oolong family and with many more unnamed cultivars.
The best rock oolong comes from Wuyi Mountain and it is also the birthplace of rock oolong. Many oolong lovers ultimately settled on rock oolongs for two main reasons: the vast number of varieties to try as well as its intriguing roasting process.
Our Wuyi Tieluohan had undergone 3 separate charcoal-roasting processes, each taking 8 to 12 hours.
More about this Wuyi Tieluohan:
- Tea type : Oolong
- Other name: Iron Monk Rock Oolong
- Cultivar: Tieluohan
- Region: Wuyi Mountain area, Fujian Province, China
- Plant age: Over 30 years old
- Altitude: Over 1000m/3300ft
- Harvest: May 2017
- Aroma: Roasted, dark cocoa and floral aroma
- Flavor: Bold, clean with notes of mild mineral flavor
Recommended Brewing Instructions:
- 2.5 teaspoons (2.5g/0.1oz) tea leaves
- 1 cup (230ml/8oz) water
- 100oC/212oF brewing temperature
- 3.5 minutes brewing time